Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Heroes in Cork

I'll talk about my Cork adventures later on but I wanted to put up this little note. I've been catching up on my episodes of Heroes. I've watched the first one and a half episodes of the new season while viewing samples at work. To my surprise, Cork plays a part in what I have watched so far. The initial Cork scene is in a shipyard, which if it was actually filmed in Cork (I seriously doubt it was) I would have passed in my race. The story takes the characters to the "Wandering Rocks" pub supposedly in Cork. The Corkonians consist of 3 main thugs and a barmaid who is a sister to one of the thugs. To my disappointment but not really shock because I know how TV shows are, the Cork accent of the characters is awful, completely awful! The actors accents are so glaringly ones that were taught to them by some school and not anything like a real Cork accent it made me a bit ill. They are too breathy, husky, clean, and sing-song like. The Cork accent is more rough, faster paced, and has much more depth and dirt in it.

Because of the horribly acted Cork accent, I wanted to see if any of the Irish characters were actually acted by true Irish much less Corkonian. No surprise here- not a single one is from Ireland. Catlin, the barmaid/sister, is played by Londonite Katie Carr. Her brother, Ricky, is played by NYC native Holt McCallany, though his IMDB trivia says he was raised in Nebraska but attended school in Ireland. (Heck, I attended school in Ireland and you dont see me trying Irish accent!) Will, the one who throws water on our Hero, is Dominic Keating, recognizable for his Vidal Sassoon commercials of the 80's, is from Leicester, UK. The third thug is supposed to be from West Africa and I cant really comment on this since I've never been there but Adetokumboh M'Cormack (Tuko) is played by Frederick McCormack from the Sierra Leon.

A note on the bar- the production designer based it on a bar in New York (McSorley's), not even one in Ireland! Come on people, bring me in- I have pictures of bars all over Ireland you can use!


No comments: