Monday, October 29, 2007

English Market


This was a sign outside of one of the English Market entrances in Cork. I really think it is a very Irish way of saying something- "who expressed a preference" is my favorite part of it. Come on people, think about it! Someone out polling dogs, some saying they like O'Doherty's pet tags, some just too busy in their doggie lives to really have a preference. That's gold!

The English Market is a huge covered market in the center of the shopping area in Cork open from 9 to 5:30 on weekdays. It has many entrances on the three streets that triangulate it- Princes Street, Patrick Street, and Grand Parade. The base building is from 1786, however it was destroyed in 1980 by a fire and refurbished to what it is now. Walking in the market is almost overwhelming with the smells of fresh bread, cheese, fresh fish, and herbs. It reminded me of the markets in Mexico- rows and rows of goods to buy, fresh fruit, butcher counters, fish mongers, spices, exotic foods, cheese, chocolate, whatever you could possibly want for lunch and more. I bought some dried figs from a counter that had fresh made hummus, baba ganoush, nuts, and other fruits. The figs became a favorite snack over the next few days since they traveled really well. I had actually bought them thinking they were chestnuts but when I tasted them I realized I was wrong- and it was a nice realization. Noted favorites of the English Market Corkonians is Tripe and Disheen (cow's stomach and black pudding) and crubeens (pigs' feet). When I did a brief internet search on the market, I found two pictures of the actual stand where I bought the figs!

No comments: